USC Physical Education Senior Lecturer Danielle Roman, ACSM, offers five ways to get a workout without going to the gym:
1. 6-MINUTE TABATA BOOTCAMP WORKOUT
- Wake up 6 minutes earlier than usual
- 1 minute dynamic warm-up of some sort (for example: high knees, jumping jacks, arm circles, air squats)
- 4-minute workout at high intensity (go hard, should be high heart rate)
- 20 seconds “on” (Burpees): 10 seconds “off” (rest), repeat for 8 rounds
- 1 minute cool down to slowly bring your heart rate down to resting level.
*The exercise can be changed up every morning. Alternate between air squats, push-ups, skater plyos, lunges etc.
- Find some stairs (for example any parking structure on campus).
- Walk or run the stairs and at the end of each round add 10 pushups and 20 sit-ups. Exercise for as much as time permits, even if it is for 10 minutes.
- Count your repetitions or rounds as well as the time it takes. Try to beat your reps in the same amount of time for your next star workout.
3. PARTNER WORKOUT
- Grab a friend!
- Warm-up with a 3-5 minute jog or walk
- 10 Reps or hold for 30” Back to back squats
- 10 Reps Push-up high-5
- 10 Reps Table Top (Partner 1)/ Dip (Partner 2)
- 10 Reps Plank Hold (Partner 1)/Jump over Legs (Partner 2)
- Repeat 1-3 rounds
- Cool down 3-5 minutes
4. CIRCUIT AT HOME
- No equipment necessary (body weight exercises)
- 10 exercises/stations, 30” to 1 minute, move from exercise to exercise. Repeat 1-3 rounds
- Jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, air squats, up downs (plank to forearm plank), skater plyos, walking lunges, dragon walk, cross toe touch, mountain climbers
5. TAKE A PE CLASS AT USC
- Sign up at: https://dornsife.usc.edu/phed/courses/
- These are just a few ways to change up your routine without equipment and going to the gym.
Stay motivated, find balance, be well, and Fight On!